7 QTs

My second three-day work week (in a row!) is coming to a close -- thanks to a snow day and a cold day. Weeks like this are nice, but also .. harder somehow.

1. So far this year I have read:
Something Other Than God by Jennifer Fulwiler = Non-fiction about how she found faith and eventually joined the Catholic Church. I read this really quickly, was intrigued with her story, but felt more explanation was needed at times-- like she mentioned having a hang up on birth control but then one event changed her mind completely, which felt a bit inauthentic to me but may have really been the case! God works is mysterious ways. (B+)

Dear Martin by Nic Stone = YA novel about an African-American boy who is navigating the world while encountering racism (B-)

The Names They Gave Us by Emery Lord = YA novel about a girl who experiences a crisis of faith when her mom is diagnosed with cancer for the second time; I think faith is often missing from YA novels, so it was refreshing to read a realistic take on it, but the book was super slow (B)

The Seventh Most Important Thing by Shelley Pearsall = Middle grade book set in the 60's about a 7th grader who throws a brick at the local "junk man" and gets sentenced to work for him every Saturday as probation. Lots of life lessons and relationships develop along the way. (A)

BearTown by Fredrik Backman = Adult fiction about a dying town in Sweden whose only hope for revitalization is hockey. But people mess up, families are broken, and the entire town is left wondering what to do and with whom their loyalty lies. AMAZING. Go read it now. (A++)

This kid is obsessed with real and toy screwdrivers lately; he takes everything apart!

2. So other than reading... I've been toying with the idea of actually creating a real budget... but so far I've just been reading blogs. Ha. Honestly, we're blessed with being able to just sort of... live? Neither of us go out and buy stuff all the time, but we do spend too much on coffee (me) or Pokemon cards (the husband), and that $$ would be better enjoyed if put towards some bigger goals we have: new oven, new countertops, paying off my car early, etc.

3. I need some new jams to listen to. Any recommendations?

4. I am FINALLY in my last semester of grad classes before graduating in May. YAY! (This also means we will have a few more thousand dollars a year to put towards those budgeting goals mentioned above! (no tuition + pay raise. WOO!)



5. NFP side note: Marquette rocks. We've now successfully avoided pregnancy for an entire year. (We got pregnant twice using Creighton-- and only used it for a total of 7 months, though I charted for an entire year prior to marriage.) I do still rely on Creighton signs to "double check," but we follow the Marquette rules as to which days are "allowed" or not.



6. I made this recipe (but with chicken) last night. My whole family enjoyed it. Luke giggled with delight every time he found an especially long zoodle. It was cute.

7. We're almost done watching The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu. I read the book in college, but don't remember a lot of it. I think I'll need to re-read it. Have you watched it? Thoughts? 

Check out for Quick Takes over at Kelly's. 

Comments

  1. You are impressive with working full time AND going to school. I could not do it!! Jams I've liked recently: Lonely Together by Avicii, Straightjacket by Quinn XCII. Most of my non-folk music is somewhat EDM though, so if you don't like that...hahaha.

    I *loved* reading the Handmaid's Tale in college, but I haven't seen the show yet. Supposedly it's pretty true to the book!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ooooh You Know

2018

#FiveFavorites