Ooooh You Know

I mentioned I landed a new job and now I can share the details! Next year I will be teaching Reading at Elkhorn Middle School! I will have one section of 8th grade and five sections of 7th. Though nervous as change is always a bit unsettling.. I am so excited :)

https://www.elkhornweb.org/ems/

Books I've read/am reading:
Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult = *****
       Fascinating views on racism-- I've found myself more and more intrigued by this topic and finding books that investigate it more.

Thunderhead by Shusterman = *****
        The second book in the Scythe series. Maybe the first time the second book was better than the first!! Fantastic dystopian YA read.

A Wrinkle in Time by L'Engle = ***
       I'm listening to it because it's a book I may be able to teach next year to my new 7th graders. I read it in elementary school but didn't remember it that well. It's ... okay. I despise the audio book's narrator, but some of the language annoys me too. Idk. Ehh.

Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds = **
      This book won a ton of awards and had the educational Twittersphere bursting with praise. It's written in verse about a boy's decision to go after the gang member that killed his brother or not... Ehhh. I just couldn't relate to the book on ANY level, which made it difficult for me to enjoy.

Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan = **** (so far-- I'm about halfway through!)
      Middle/YA book set in the 1930s/40s. Three stories weave together... all centered around a harmonica.

Up next on my library hold list:
One Beautiful Dream by Jennifer Fulwiler
An American Marriage by Tayari Jones
The Year of Less by Cait Flanders
The Read ALound Handbook by Jim Trelease
Legend by Marie Lu









Norah turned TWO! We celebrated with a donut themed brunch. She talks in complete sentences, knows her colors, can count to 10, and knows about 5 different shapes. She wanted pull-ups for her birthday so we're jumping on our slow potty-train too =) She can tell us when she has to go, but only about 5 seconds before! She's sweet and sassy and will only sleep at night if she has all four blankets and 2 babies, and her other 5 favorite stuffed animals with her.



I'm officially done with my MASTERS in Literacy. I would've walked last Friday, but I didn't want to take off work/pay $100 for the cap&gown. We commemorated the event with my own special cookie at Norah's party. I also plan on buying myself a new MacBook Air within the next month (only using $ I've earned from my Usborne business in the last 3 months!! Woo!!)





Comments

  1. Congratulations on graduating!!! That's so exciting. And the job change? Lots of stuff happening! Also, An American Marriage has been on my list so you have to blog about it when you get it/finish it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2018

#FiveFavorites